Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

21.12.06

Somalia's UIC and Ethiopian Army "at War"

The BBC is reporting this morning that war has truly broken out between Somalia's Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) and the Ethiopian Army. They report:
Fresh heavy fighting is reported near the weak Somali government's Baidoa base, amid fears conflict could plunge the entire Horn of Africa into crisis...Somalia's Deputy Defence Minister Salad Ali Jelle told reporters in Baidoa that 71 Islamic fighters had been killed and 221 injured so far during clashes in three locations.
This conflict does have the potential to explode, plunging the entire region into violence. Now more than ever, sensitive diplomacy is needed to withdraw Ethiopian troops out of Somalia and engage a political solution between the Transitional Government and UIC. Unfortunately, the larger and less nuanced frame of the "war on terror" may subvert any hope for such peace diplomacy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Just thought I'd say Hey!!!! We you the one who was asking me where I was working on the internet? Take it easy, I'm enjoying this California weather!!!! I just moved here from the east sooooo :)

I made an extra $2000 a Month Using this site!!

4:48 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home