Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

18.10.06

US Govt. Continued Silence on Opportunity to Help End 20-Year War in Uganda

I wanted to post here a blog entry from UgandaCAN.org that I think is absolutely critical -

"As we reported yesterday, the United Kingdom has pledged $469,043 in support of the Juba peace talks. This pledge of support for the talks will be a major help to the peace process and is also an important show of commitment to the people of northern Uganda. Thusfar, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden have also made contributions to the Juba Initiative Fund in support of these critical peace talks. The Netherlands has pledged $1,142,132; Norway $247,170 and Sweden $960,219. However, the only other major donor to Uganda, the United States government, has yet to pledge any support for the Juba peace talks. U.S. public support for the talks would be extremely helpful to build confidence, hold the parties accountable and aid technical needs, such as monitoring the cessation of hostilities agreement. U.S. continued silence on these talks calls into question the statement by the White House that ending the war by the end of 2006 is a priority for the Bush Administration. There is still a deficit of $1.98 million to the UN Juba Initiative Fund; we urge the U.S. to fill that deficit and publicly support this critical opportunity to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home