Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

27.10.06

UN Initiates Conventional Arms Trade Agreement

Great news today that a United Nations committee has voted overwhelmingly (139 in favor, 24 abstentions, 1 vote against notably by the USA) to begin work on drawing up an international arms trade treaty. The hope is to close loopholes in existing laws that allow guns to still end up in conflict zones, like northern Uganda and Sudan. It could further stop the supply of arms to countries with excessive military spending that is hampering their socio-economic development.

This vote comes after a brilliant report this month by Oxfam and other international agencies, titled "Arms Without Borders: Global Arms Industry Exploiting Major Loopholes in Arms Regulations."

1 Comments:

Blogger Jos Ajabo said...

Thanks Peter for the elaborate blog you have made in an effort to bring peace in Nothern Uganda. The world needs more of your kind to make the earth a safe place for living.

6:26 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home