Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

31.10.06

John Edwards Urges "End to Uganda Nightmare"

John Edwards, former North Carolina senator and the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee (and likely 2008 presidential contender) has written a powerful Op/Ed in today's Washington Post, urging U.S. support for the fragile Juba peace talks. Edwards visited northern Uganda over the summer and was deeply touched by meeting survivors of the 20-year war.

Edwards writes, "At a moment of tremendous global hardship -- from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to the killing fields of Darfur -- it is rare to find hope. So when there is the possibility for peace, we must seize it. That's why one of the world's great tragedies, the conflict in Northern Uganda, deserves our attention."

He urges the US and international community to publicly support the ongoing peace talks, to offer assistance to the mediating Government of South Sudan, and to make clear their financial commitment to supporting post-conflict needs.

Edwards concludes, "In a world of unending troubles for the United States, few would argue that Northern Uganda's future is among the most urgent strategic challenges. But our actions in coming weeks will be a critical test of our global leadership. How we act -- and if and how we lead -- will send a message throughout Africa and the rest of the world about what America stands for. We must not sit idly by as Uganda's people strive for peace."

His likability for 2008 certainly just went up about ten points in my book. This is true global leadership: something the country could really learn and grow from...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home