Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

14.9.06

Politics of Hope for Massachusetts: Deval Patrick

I cast my vote yesterday in Massachusetts' contentious gubernatorial Democratic primary for Deval Patrick. All three candidates in the race have good ideas for the future of the state, but Patrick offers something unique: a movement for a politics of hope and citizen empowerment. In the last year, he's built a rarely seen broad-based grassroots movement that has united folks across the state and in his own words, "invited people who've checked out to check back in." Cut from the Barack Obama cloth, Patrick is about bringing a new spirit to politics. As my local newspaper put it, "To him, politics is not a zero-sum where one side wins by making the other side lose, and it's not about him. It's about us."

Patrick's story is also pretty damn inspiring. Born on the south side of Chicago, he won a scholarship from the elite Milton Academy and then Harvard (followed by Harvard Law). After working as a civil rights activist and organizer, he became the Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights during the Clinton Administration. He then joined the private sector and worked as a corporate lawyer.

If you haven't read or heard about Patrick yet, you'll be hearing about him soon. If you have a moment, check out his web site and be sure to watch a few of his speeches and television spots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home