Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

12.8.06

One Year Later: From Uganda to the UK

It's been over a year since I last wrote in this blog. In that one year, a lot has happened.

The far majority of my time has been spent working with the Uganda Conflict Action Network (Uganda-CAN), a Washington D.C.-based campaign working for an end to the 20-year war in northern Uganda. To the left, you can see a photo of me with my two partners-in-that-crime, Michael Poffenberger and Stephen Okello. The three of us and many more have been working to get Americans to
care about the neglected crisis and take action.

You can see that the three of us are wearing GuluWalk shirts. GuluWalk Day 2005 had more than 15,000 people in 38 cities walking for the children of northern Uganda. GuluWalk Day 2006 (October 21, 2006) is set to be even bigger and is hoping to raise $1 million for the war-affected children. 10,000 people each raising $100 = $1 million. We're looking for 10,000 reasons for hope in northern Uganda. Are you one of them? Sign up to walk today!

As the work to end this tragic war continued, some other big things have happened in my life.

First and most importantly, I'm still spending as much of my time as I can with Jess (and as much as she's willing to spend with me). She's become my closest friend and been there through the thick and thin. She's brilliant, beautiful, and mostly a ton of fun.

Secondly, Jess and I (and about 1,998 others) graduated from the University of Notre Dame this May. After four years "under the dome," it was/is time to move on to the next thing.

And that next thing for me is graduate school in England; I was awarded a Marshall Scholarship. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies at the University of Bradford. It's a fancy degree name (that's why I picked it!), but it really boils down to one question: how does the work of peacebuilding and conflict transformation intersect with the work of creating real and lasting "security" for individual and nation-states? In other words (I've become an addicted 24 fan this summer), can 24's Jack Bauer be/become a peacemaker? Not torturing everyone might be a good start...

So in preparation for my trip across the pond, I've been buying umbrellas, drinking pints and learning as much as I can about British football [soccer]. Bradford City has its own team - the Bantams - so you can expect to hear a bit about them over the next year.

My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home