Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

23.8.06

3 Years Later, Darfur Atrocities Persist

After three years of people calling for an end to the atrocities in Darfur, Sudan, the situation is still getting worse. The inaction by the U.S. government and others is pitiful given the depth of information and range of policy potential. In the International Herald Tribune earlier this week, John Prendergast and Nick Grono of the Crisis Group wrote a call to action to the U.S., titled "To halt Sudan's atrocities, follow the money." They write, "UN member states must change the calculus of self-interest for the Sudanese regime, and one of the most effective ways of doing this is to target its sources of illicit income and unravel the Sudanese leadership's shadowy web of commercial interests."

The Genocide Intervention Network has put together The Darfur Scorecard, which grades each Senator, Congressperson and state on how effectively (or ineffectively) they've worked to stop the atrocities. Not only is this a really cool site, but it's a remarkable tool for holding U.S. policymakers accountable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home