Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

9.6.05

Uganda Donors Urged to Pressure for Peace

The link I am posting here is to a Reuters AlertNet article from today, contending that the donors should and must use their tremendous clout in Uganda to push for serious peace negotiations. This is right in-line with what we are trying to say with Uganda Conflict Action Network. I am going to paste the final three paragraphs here.

"He added that the United States, not traditionally a major player in Ugandan aid, was becoming increasingly important in egging on the peace process.

Washington used to favour military suppression of the LRA, while the European donors pushed for peace talks, but the United States has come into line with its fellow donors over the last year and a half.

“NGOs have been pushing for a unified donor view on the conflict and how to end it, so if all the donors as one can say that a peaceful solution is the best way to go, that has an impact,” he said."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home