Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

13.6.05

Justice, Not Charity for Africa

Naomi Klein, the fierce critic of neo-liberal capitalism, has recently published a great column in The Nation that addresses the misperceptions and subsequent mistakes of the current push to end poverty in sub-Saharan Africa. She writes, "He asked not for charity, pity or "relief" but for justice." I am posting one other paragraph here and will link to the whole article.

"This is what keeps Africa poor: not a lack of political will but the tremendous profitability of the current arrangement. Sub-Saharan Africa, the poorest place on earth, is also its most profitable investment destination: It offers, according to the World Bank's 2003 Global Development Finance report, 'the highest returns on foreign direct investment of any region in the world.' Africa is poor because its investors and its creditors are so unspeakably rich."

2 Comments:

Blogger Our Lady of Fatima Biloxi said...

I came across your blog about charity care and found it to be very good. I am definitely going to add you to my favorites. I have a blog that you might be interested in at charity care it has similar content. Feel free to check it out when you get the time.

11:23 PM GMT  
Blogger Our Lady of Fatima Biloxi said...

I came across your blog about charity care and found it to be very good. I am definitely going to add you to my favorites. I have a blog that you might be interested in at charity care it has similar content. Feel free to check it out when you get the time.

2:15 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home