Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

15.6.05

Crumbs for Africa - IHT Editorial

Linked is an editorial from the NY Times in the International Herald Tribune that discounts the myth that many, such as President Bush, would like to swindle that the United States makes significant contributions in aid to Africa. The truth is that the U.S. spends very little of its national budget on foreign aid, far less than the rest of the so-called "developed" world. Further, the aid that is given is distributed based on U.S. geostrategic interests in sub-Saharan Africa. So, a country like Egypt gets large amounts of aid, while one like Botswana (where about 33% of the population have HIV) gets extremely little. Bush's praised Millenium Development Challenge in 2002 had such serious strings attached to it that only 6 or 7 African countries were eligible, and only one has been able yet to get aid from the account.

In the coming weeks as the world focuses on Africa, there must be a cry from the American people, moved by the very real suffering on the African sub-continent, to spend more aid ensuring that people's basic needs are met. This is not only the right thing to do, it is in our interest for security as we move forward in these turbulent times.

7 Comments:

Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Great site!

Please check out my blog- Dj Equipment

Or your my be interested in my other site- Dj Equipment where you can find Dj Equipment

8:39 PM GMT  
Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Luggage It pretty much covers Luggage related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:10 AM GMT  
Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Great site!

Please check out my blog- headsets

Or your my be interested in my other site- headsets where you can find headsets

9:34 AM GMT  
Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Great site!

Please check out my blog- cd

Or your my be interested in my other site- cd where you can find cd

5:16 AM GMT  
Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Great site!

Please check out my blog- cd

Or your my be interested in my other site- cd where you can find cd

6:24 PM GMT  
Blogger Shawn T Lippert said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Luggage Resources for designer luggage and luggage up to 75% off if you or your readers are interested.

8:35 AM GMT  
Blogger imperial said...

Creative blog.  I thought it was the best site out
and we had to go back to it! Every chance I get on the
net I search for blogs just like your site.
Sweetie, go and search my cash advance invest blog for what you need.

8:05 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home