Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

13.5.05

Updates as we Wind on Down the Road... - Final Days in Uganda

It has been far too long since I last chimed in on this blog. Last week was a mad rush to write and publish my report - titled "They are Feeding off our Blood": The Struggle for Peace in Uganda's Tenuous Political Climate. I will put the report up on my website - www.nd.edu/~pquarant - as soon as I get home.

After the madness of writing, our group traveled to Ssese Islands in the middle of Lake Victoria to present our findings and have final groups debriefings. The island was beautiful, and the opportunity to relax much needed. Yet, I find myself growing sad as my final days in the "pearl of Africa" (for now) pass.

I intend to write tomorrow some reflections, not conclusions, on my fifteen weeks here in Uganda, which I will post here.

In good news, the human rights complaint that my friend wrote about the discrimination against homosexuals in HIV/AIDS policy has already received some great press coverage. Just small coverage from international news agencies will force the Uganda Human Rights Commission and the government to respond. The struggle will inevitably be a long one, but this is definitely an example of the power we have as consciencious citizens to utilize our power to push for a more just and humane world. I will also post my friend's report on my website in a week when I am back in the United States.

Finally, my little brother, Dan, graduates today from Xaverian Brothers High School in Massachusetts. I am really excited for him and wish I could be there. Congrats, Dan.

Best wishes to you wherever you stumble upon the blog. More to come tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger rushprnews said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to visit again! Please feel free to visit my blog too at http://rushprnews.iuplog.com, RushPRnews Daily Gazette.
My site is ** RushPRnews press release services, distribution and free web posting** . Cordially, Anne Laszlo-Howard

3:30 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Mike Carter said...

Hello,

Just a note to say that I have found the details on your site, very interesting. There are a few ideas I would like to use on my site too. Thanks for your help in this matter.

Thanks,
online money make fast

3:15 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home