Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

3.3.05

Parliamentary Affairs and Newsrooms - Wicked cool.

Well, the last two days have found me in both the halls of the Ugandan Parliament and the newsroom of The New Vision, the major government-sponsored newspaper in Uganda. With the latter, I submitted my editorial for the newspaper. They brought me back to the newsroom to meet with the Features editor. I saw lots of reporter typing away in a frenzy to get the paper out. Very cool. And then today, I went to Parliament to meet with the Honorable Jacob Oulanya, an MP from Gulu (northern Uganda) who is giving me guidance on my independent study project about the third-term debate and the northern conflict. The Parliament building is pretty impressive, and it was also very cool to be there meeting with the head of the Uganda Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee. Each day here brings new surprises. And being a foreigner makes research so easy and exciting, because we have amazing access to leaders and powerful institutions in the society.

1 Comments:

Blogger Devon said...

Hey! Found your blog when looking for stuff on Origin of Valentine's Day. Not quite what I was looking for, but a good read anyhow, so I thought I'd post a comment. Me and My Origin of Valentine's Day Site.

6:59 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home