Footnotes from the British Underground

This blog began as venue for my stories as I traveled in Africa. 18 months later, I return to it as I travel to study as a Marshall Scholar in the United Kingdom. My hope is that this blog can be a conduit for you - my family, friends and secret/strange admirers - to track my movements, see a photo or two and get a glimpse of my days in the UK. Apologies once again to Dostoevsky for the blog's name...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bradford, United Kingdom

After graduating from Notre Dame, I'm off to England for graduate study. I'll be studying for a M.A. in International Politics and Security Studies. When not studying, I'm continuing to coordinate Uganda-CAN's efforts to end the 20-year war in northern Uganda!

8.3.05

Happy Women's Day, and a Brief History of the Northern Conflict

First off, Happy International Women's Day! Being here in Uganda makes me realize how far we still have to go in achieving justice and equity for women. Let alone appreciation. Women in Uganda really are seen and treated as second-class citizens, especially outside the urban areas. Yet, while such blatant sexism exists throughout the world, I think it is the cloaked sexism that can be even more frustrating. For example, in the United States we think we have reached a level of gender equality. We certainly have made leaps and gains, but women still made only $0.70 to every $1 made by a man in the same line of work. Well, perhaps this might be a day to be constructively gender conscious and reflective. A day that could spur changes in attitudes, norms and behaviors. So, celebrate Women's Day!

It has been nice to be able to have a few consistent days writing in this blog, especially after my intense experience this weekend in Lira town. These days, I am studying grassroots development with an organization called Uganda Change Agent Association. UCAA trains people in a methodology of participatory, self-reliant development. It preaches conscientization, which awakens people to be critically aware and action in their lives and communities. Witnessing their change agents in rural communities has been challenging my cynicism about development. They are doing amazing work, helping people in rural communities to help themselves. Their approach seems to be the way for true, sustainable development - participatory, grassroots, self-reliant development from the bottom-up.

As promised, I also wanted to write a little about the conflict in the north, explaining briefly its historical roots. The north-south divide really extends back to the colonial period, when the British used the Baganda (south-central region of Uganda) as their colonial administrators. Thus, the Baganda, received lots of development aid and power, while the northern regions received little to no aid at the time. The harsh colonial structures gave rise to massive regional inequalities that persist today. Post-independence in 1962, the north gained power with the regimes of Milton Obote and Idi Amin, both of which were dictatorial regimes that violently suppressed the southern regions of Uganda (and the northern regions in some cases).

The tumultuous history of Uganda in its early decades set a precedent where rebellion or "going to the Bush" to fight violently for power became an accepted part of the political system. Thus, when Youweri Museveni and the NRA took power in 1986, many of the Acholi (northern ethnic group) formed rebel groups to fight against his southern-dominated regime. Museveni's army also terrorized the northern areas during their struggle for power. Museveni's NRA overtook the northern military groups, however some remained in the "bush" fomenting violence among the northern peoples. Over the next five years, that splinter group molded into the Lord's Resistance Group, an apolocalyptic-spiritual movement with unclear political objectives, led by the infamous former general Joseph Kony.

Since 1987 or so, Kony's small army has abducted children, forcing them to participate in his war as child soldiers. His army has also been terrorizing the northern regions, forcing people into IDP camps and killing hundreds of thousands. Museveni has shown little interest in peace, intentionally withholding aid from the north and showing little respect or security for the IDPs. Many believed that Museveni was the major impediment to peace. Of course, the conflict has changed over time, with many complexities.

However, there are really two aspects to it: 1.) a massive north-south divide with the northern people having major grievances towards a government that has blatantly ignored and oppressed them and 2.) a war between the brutal LRA and the innocent northern peoples, most forced into IDP camps. There have been significant peace efforts recently, but fighting has continued.

I have to stop there for now, but I will write more and fill in gaps in coming days. It is a horrifyingly complex conflict, deeply in need of international attention, pressure and action.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Hofmeister said...

self growth is a great topic. For me it is what it (life) is all about. Every single day we learn, we grow and we change and it depends on this growth whether we turn into the best we can.
If you are interested to hear more, why not sign up for me F*R*E*E e-course on self growth. I would love to see you there.
Abundant blessings,
Barbara Hofmeister
www.trainingvisions.com

9:23 PM GMT  
Blogger Devon said...

Hey! Found your blog when looking for stuff on Valentine's Day. Not quite what I was looking for, but a good read anyhow, so I thought I'd post a comment. Me and My Valentine's Day Site.

8:53 AM GMT  
Blogger CassieLove said...

Hey! Found your blog when looking for stuff on Unique Valentine's Day Gift Ideas. Not quite what I was looking for, but a good read anyhow, so I thought I'd post a comment. Me and My Unique Valentine's Day Gift Ideas Site.

7:14 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home